This series contains material created and collected by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton during their ministry teaching at Holy Rosary School in Milton, Ontario. Milton is located on the treaty lands and territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation and traditional territory of the Huron-Wendat and Haudenosaunee people.
In March 1954 construction began on Holy Rosary School. Three Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton, Ontario arrived in Milton to teach: Sister M. Emmanuella (Mary Rose) Runstedtler, Superior, Sister M. Majella (Catherine Maud) Conway, principal, and Sister M. Claudia (Marian) Rossignoli, a teacher. The Sisters moved into Holy Rosary Convent, originally the John Dewar House. The school opened that September with 70 students, increasing to 105 after Christmas, in a two-room schoolhouse. An additional four rooms were built in 1955 and two more in 1957. The Sisters also taught music and did parish ministry. The Sisters left Milton in 1984. In 1999 a new school structure designed for 487 students was built in place of the original building.
Present here are annals, pamphlets, programmes, invitations, correspondence, historical summaries, news clippings, prayer cards, a financial record book, the January 1954 issue of the Generalate Newsletter, a certificate for the 25th anniversary of the mission, and photographs.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (Hamilton, Ont.)