This series contains photographs, histories, correspondence, meeting minutes, and pamphlets from St. Joseph's Centre. St. Joseph’s Centre was a holistic care centre opened in 2006 and was located on Tecumseh Road, Windsor. It provided various services including spiritual direction, counseling, and massage. It was operated by Sisters Yvonne Parent, Linda Parent, and Jacqueline Janisse. Windsor is located on the traditional territory of the Three Fires Confederacy of First Nations, which is an alliance between the Ojibwa, the Odawa, and the Potawatomi.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)This series contains a history of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London, Ontario’s activities in St. Brides, Alberta. History of St. Bride’s Settlement, Alberta, is a written history authored by Sister M. Winnifrid Downs covering 1927 to 1956. It was an assignment submitted on July 31, 1956, for a history summer school course at the University of Alberta. The essay topics include immigration policies, the original and later settlers, and the development and progress of St. Brides, with 47 photographs, maps, land plot diagrams, a pamphlet, a list of pioneer families who arrived in St. Brides in 1927, and a letter with an envelope to Sister Mary Winnifrid in Edmonton from Father MacDonell in Inverness-shire, in Ireland, on vows taken on April 14, 1956. There are also lists of of Sisters who taught or were missioned to St. Brides from 1934 to 1964, as well as correspondence about collecting information to create a history of St. Brides, and newsclippings on the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of St. Brides Parish. There are printed pictures and photographs of the Sisters poised in from of St. Brides Convent in the mid-1950s, and photographs of the condominium residence of Sister St. Bride and Sister Rose Ellen in Edmonton. In addition, there is a photograph of a wooden and metal engraved plaque that was awarded to the Sisters for their fifty years of service in St. Brides from 1927 to 1977.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)Responding to the need for more teachers, the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London opened St. Anne’s Convent at 1948 St. Mary’s Gate, Windsor, in 1946. Windsor is located on the traditional territory of the Three Fires Confederacy of First Nations, which is an alliance between the Ojibwa, the Odawa, and the Potawatomi. The Sisters who resided at this convent taught at elementary schools and gave music lessons at the convent. The Sisters sold this property in 1961.
This series contains annals, lists of Sisters who resided here, historical summaries, news clippings, photographs, and a brochure for the sale of the convent.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)This file contains the amended annals of "The Nine," or "The Nine Lepers," a class of Sisters who entered the Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton in 1950 as written by Sister Christina Straus (1927-2018). These annals recount their activities as postulants, novices, and fully professed Sisters. Inside the annals is an invitation and dinner card from the jubilee celebration in 1975.
This series contains the records of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London, Ontario's mission in Simcoe, Ontario. Simcoe is in Norfolk County and is on the traditional lands of the Anishinaabe, Neutral, and Haudenosaunee peoples. At the request of Reverend F. O’Drowski, the Sisters of St. Joseph of London came to Simcoe in 1938. The Sisters moved in a home at 253 Union Street which had once been Father Hannick’s. While in Simcoe, the Sisters’ primary ministry was teaching at St Mary’s School, but they also did various parish ministries and taught catechism and music. In 1963, construction finished, and a new convent was opened at 251 Union Street. Due to a lack of personnel, the Sisters withdrew from Simcoe in 1974. Throughout the 1980s, a few Sisters rented residences in Simcoe and the surrounding area and did parish ministry. The last Sisters left Simcoe in 1989. The records present include annals, histories, event booklets, a guest book, correspondence, financial reports, meeting minutes, and photographs.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)This series contains the records from the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London, Ontario's mission in Seaforth, Ontario. Seaforth is part of Huron County which is located on the traditional lands of the of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee, and Neutral Peoples. At the request of Reverend P. Corcoran, the Sisters of St. Joseph of London came to Seaforth in January of 1913. Their primary ministry was teaching at St. James School, but they also did various parish ministries and taught catechetics and music. Due to a personnel shortage in 1971, the convent in Seaforth was closed and two teaching Sisters commuted from Zurich to teach in Seaforth. Due to weather conditions that made commuting hazardous, the convent in Seaforth was opened again in 1977. In 1983, the Sisters withdrew from Seaforth. The convent building was demolished in 1985. The records present include annals, histories, correspondence, news clippings, and photographs.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)This series chronicles the history of the Sarnia mission of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London, Ontario. This series covers a period from 1906 to 1989 when the Sisters lived in different residences throughout Sarnia, Ontario: at Our Lady of Mercy Convent (174 London Road) from 1906 to 1977, at St. Joseph’s Convent (254 Emma Street) from 1945 to 1982, at St. Joseph’s Convent or Mackenzie House (332 London Road) from 1977 to 1983, at St. Joseph’s Convent (302 Vidal Street North) from 1977 to 1987, at Vidal Street Community House (301 Vidal Street South) from 1986 to 1989, and at Pontiac Court Community House (1230 Pontiac Court) from 1988 to 1989. The Sisters contributed to Sarnia’s regional development in the fields of education, healthcare, social welfare, and pastoral care. The Sisters served as principals, directors, administrators, board and committee members, teachers, nurses, and spiritual leaders and advisors for various Catholic Separate Schools, St. Peter’s Seminary, Sarnia Collegiate Institute and Technical School, St. Joseph’s Hospital, and as staff and volunteers at Roman Catholic churches in different parishes throughout Sarnia and the surrounding area. This series also contains minutes, correspondence, essays, lists, administrative and financial records, newsletters, news clippings, and photographs related to the management of the assorted convents and community houses occupied by the Sisters, documentation on the various ministries, professional development, social and community activities of the Sisters, and the different school and church events they participated in during their Sarnia mission.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)This series contains records related to the Sisters' ministry in Sandwich, which amalgamated into the City of Windsor in 1935. After the Sisters of St. Joseph established their Motherhouse in Toronto in 1854, Bishop De Charbonnel intended for a second ministry would be established in Sandwich, a community of what is now Windsor, Ontario. However, the Ladies of the Sacred Heart established a community in Sandwich, so the Sisters of St. Joseph went to Amherstburg instead. On December 11, 1868, five Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto arrived in London, Ontario. This would become its own congregation in 1891. In 1884, Father O’ Connor asked the Sisters of St. Joseph of London to assume the domestic responsibilities of Assumption College in Sandwich, Ontario, which they did for 20 years. Windsor is located on the traditional territory of the Three Fires Confederacy of First Nations, which is an alliance between the Ojibwa, the Odawa, and the Potawatomi.
The records present were filed as annals, but do not actually contain annals. Instead, there is a historical summary and a walking tour of historical sites in Sandwich created by the Windsor Heritage Committee.
St. Joseph’s Manor in Windsor, Ontario, a receiving home for children, was demolished in 1969 for the construction of the Roy J. Bondy Centre. This was a new receiving and assessment centre for the Windsor Roman Catholic Children’s Aid Society. The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London, Ontario operated both facilities. The centre was occupied on March 19, 1970, and officially blessed on September 13, 1970. The centre was designed to provide short-term care to 21 children between the ages of four and 15, with space for four Sisters to live on-site. The Sisters cared for the children, assessed their needs and created long-term care plans, and provided spiritual care. The Sisters would arrange for weekly eucharists, baptisms, and first communions with the chaplain. In March of 1971, a mother-and-child day care program began at the centre. The Roman Catholic Children’s Aid Society decided to transform the Roy J. Bondy Centre into a residential treatment centre for boys in 1980. The Sisters withdrew and opened a foster home for disabled children on Belleview Street, which eventually moved to St. Rose Avenue in 1982. Windsor is located on the traditional territory of the Three Fires Confederacy of First Nations, which is an alliance between the Ojibwa, the Odawa, and the Potawatomi. This series contains correspondence between Sisters about annals, copies of the annals of St. Joseph's Manor from 1934 to 1962, and histories of the Roy J. Bondy Centre.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)This series contains news information on the activities of Bishop John Fergus O’Grady during his tenure as the Bishop of the Diocese of Prince George, British Columbia from 1972 to 1984. There is a newspaper article, “Challenges but no igloos for O’Grady’s frontier apostles,” written by Annette Westley, and published in the Western Catholic Reporter, on January 23, 1972. There is also a news bulletin that provides an account on the “Portrait of a Diocese – Prince George, British Columbia,” by June Lang Corcoran, and published in Canadian Catholic Review, June 1984. These newsclippings provide information about Bishop John Fergus O’Grady and his mission work in Prince George, British Columbia. Sister Loretto Healy of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of London, Ontario was part of Bishop O’Grady’s the Frontier Apostolate program in the Diocese of Prince George from 1972 to 1977. In addition, there is a photograph of a wooden timber church where Sister Loretto attended Mass.
Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada (London, Ont.)